Wednesday 16 April 2008

Chilling in Pokhara


The enlarged group of 8 are all now in Pokhara. Charles and Emilie arrived yesterday evening, having done more walking than any of the rest of us. They are both French Canadian and I think they enjoyed the prolonged opportunity to talk in their own language!

I'm still taking it fairly easy here. Björn and I rented a couple of kayaks this morning for an outing on the lake - but the truth is that I found the kayak a bit difficult to control and we came in after less than a couple of hours. Yesterday I had an overdue shave and a haircut. Before that some of us rented a different kind of boat (and easier to control) and went across the lake to climb up to the temple. All in all, this is a fine place to take it relatively easy for a while, with plenty good food and good weather. It does have something of a tendency to rain in the late afternoon, but I can live with that. I'm working up to a rafting trip for a few days, probably on the Kali Gandaki river.


I'll include a picture of Pokhara from the temple. Pity about the clouds in the distance: when the weather is clear there is a wonderful backdrop of Himalayan mountains there.


Others are me in the boat to the temple, and some celebrating Maoists.


Thanks to Björn for the Maoists.

No comments: