Friday 25 April 2008

Hills again

After contemplating the options, I've decided to head back into the hills for a while - this time to what is called the "Annapurna Sanctuary". This is a walk into the heart of the Annapurna range - up to Annapurna Base Camp (or ABC as they call it here). This is the base for serious climbs of the Annapurna south face, and it is clear that it gives a whole new perspective on all the mountains around it. I'll also be calling in at Machapuchhre Base Camp.
I've decided to do this with a porter/guide on a 1:1 basis. i.e. I'm just hiring my own guide, and I seem to have found a decent fella thanks to the Irish rafters - who did the ABC trek with him very recently. His name is Tika. Having done the Annapurna circuit twice now, it seems that it would be a shame for me to leave here without seeing what else the range has to offer.
This trek will take from 7 - 10 days. I understand that internet options will be very limited there; so it will likely be a while before I can post here again.

After that my thoughts are that I will return to Kathmandu and investigate a couple of volunteering opportunities which have arisen, and generally reconsider the plans for the rest of my trip. I'm beginning to think that it is pretty much the wrong time of year to be heading further south into India and Sri Lanka. It is hot enough here!

3 comments:

Ken and Moira's travel blogs said...

Looks spectacular Alan from what we can see in Google Earth.

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for sharing the magic of your surroundings as you travel Alan. We're going to drive down through rural France soon, which has been very wet recently; such a contrast with your part of the world! Hope you'll have many more photos which 'capture' the scenery and atmosphere. Your communication with us would recommend you becoming an author!
Yours Aye, Diana & Rex

Anonymous said...

Good luck and have fun on the ABC trek :D xxx