Thursday 22 May 2008

Going mobile

I should confess that I got myself a mobile phone for Nepal a couple of weeks ago - once I realised that I'd probably be here a little longer than expected.
I deliberately didn't take a mobile with me from home - partly because I'd end up paying a ridiculous premium for all sorts of incoming calls. But there is no doubt that a mobile is useful in managing lots of day-to-day stuff - particularly when there is a job to be done, even if it is voluntary. Chuda, my main contact for the Namuna school project spends most of the week in Chitwan province.
The handset cost me about UKP21 and I'll be able to reuse it in the UK. The SIM card cost about a fiver, all of which I get back in credit. So I can persuade myself that it is costing effectively nothing.
The number is +977.9803.88.29.86 in case any of you want to spend loadsamoney to send a text. Just don't expect a reply till July.
POSTSCRIPT TO THIS: I now know that the mobile network I'm on (Mero) has no international agreements with Europe for the exchange of texts. Voice calls should work, but I don't expect any calls from far away. It is just intended as a tool to help with day-to-day stuff locally.

No comments: