Friday 23 May 2008

More garlic soup?





Maybe it's time for a brief update on the main subject of this blog.
Up in the hills garlic soup is always on the menu, and I took it at least once per day while I was on my treks. In the cities it is far less common but often available if you just ask.
So far I haven't had a day of illness here (either stomach upsets or any real problem with altitude), and I am pleased to attribute this to the good old GS - and maybe to a bit of iodine in the water too! I was still slower on the treks than I would like to be, and the soup doesn't seem to have speeded me up any.
As the GS recipe which I posted earlier shows it is basically very simple, but it is worth noting that I have found several variations which I like - mostly involving adding other vegetables or ingredients; e.g. add small bits of chopped tomato, onion, spinach, ginger, chopped or shredded potato etc. when shallow-frying the garlic. And some folks just use a curry powder for flavour rather than the masala.
I'm afraid that I didn't get around to photographing the best-tasting examples but here are a few offerings, including one which I suspect used Heinz tomato soup instead of water. Best one so far was undoubtedly at Jharkot - on the return leg of the Annapurna circuit - where I also ate their garlic pizza. I had a lot of space for several days after that!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Many of us I'm sure regularly check your Blog Alan to discover where and how you are; glad all good news. Here in Bristol it's a chilly, wet & dismal morning but will be of benefit to the garden. A niece & nephew, Heidi & Stuart from Minehead, flew to Edinburgh to run in the Marathon today Sunday (with 13000 others) Temp.15 deg., and the best part of the country for sunshine & lovely weather this Bank Holiday weekend! Take care even though you have a reliable remedy in your appetite for garlic soup! xxx Diana&Rex