Wednesday 14 May 2008

Volunteer work

I had a second meeting yesterday with Philip Holmes of the Esther Benjamins Trust. This is a highly impressive organisation which is very actively engaged in rescuing Nepalese children from dire circumstances and in providing them with comfort, security and hope. I have also met recently with some of the trustees of the Namuna School (and many of the staff and students). Their mission is to provide an education for adult women who have missed out on this so far.
It has been a difficult choice, and I have to recognise that my time is now pretty limited. There is of course lots of work to be done at the EB Trust, and I think Philip would let me have a go at some of it. But I think that where I actually have the best chance for good use of my skills now lies with the Namuna School. I think I can help them improve their overall mission statements and the documentation supporting these - hopefully using this as a basis for a website. At the moment they have no web presence. They certainly need to raise funds, and the web is a key vehicle for that objective these days. Besides, I think I can get started on this in Nepal and continue once I have left - apart from the fact that I might still get to fit in another trek while I'm here.
The Esther Benjamins Trust is doing some amazing work, and they are already on the internet - at http://www.ebtrust.org.uk/. I'll include the link in the side panel. The website also has links to Philip's own blog and to the EB Trust on Facebook. To all you Facebook detractors, I think that it was there that I found the organisation in the first place! At any rate, even if I'm not going to be able to help them in Nepal this time around, I'm pretty sure that I'll be spreading the word here and in other ways - e.g. with the Children's Panel community in Glasgow. Philip is from Northern Ireland and already has some connections in Scotland. His folks are planning a West Highland Way fund-raising walk later this year, maybe in August; so I have promised to take part in that.

1 comment:

Nicola Cameron said...

Wow this sounds like really fantastic stuff and I know you'll be a great help with the work.
Makes me want to start my job in Uganda now! They still havint told what it is though but they say theyre posting the profile this week.
I was just about to say that you should put a page view counter on your blog when I spotted one hiding there!
Nicola xxx