Saturday 7 June 2008

Chiang Rai - and Thai garlic soup!



I'm at the Golden Triangle Inn and it seems like a fine place, and Chiang Rai generally has a very nice relaxed feel. There is a night market here, as in most Thai towns- with plenty of choices of places to eat as well as yet more shopping opportunities! I headed there last night and chose an ordinary looking place in the market square. I decided to remember my mission and asked if they could do a garlic soup. I don't think he had heard such a request before, but he did a fine job anyway. Not much like the Himalayan variety; more like a garlic version of French Onion (complete with bread and cheese on top) as well as chicken and various Thai spices and lemongrass. There is a picture in case you are interested. I needed a long sleep last night and more or less managed that. Today I've been strolling around CR, eating, investigating bus options for escape tomorrow, buying a new book (I'm going through about one a week), and buying a new pair of reading glasses (from a proper optician). I haven't told you here before now, but I lost my (varifocal) specs somewhere around Annapurna Base Camp, and have been using cheap glasses from Pokhara, which are pretty lousy to be honest.

My new purchase isn't the whole solution but it will help.

Does anyone remember Spike Milligan's "I left my teeth on Table Mountain"? I think I have a new verse for it!

No comments: