Monday 23 June 2008

HCMC

I arrived in Ho Chi Minh City (still equally know as Saigon it seems) a couple of hours ago. Despite the touts who are always hovering on arrival, I found the hotel I wanted to get to pretty easily - selected from Lonely Planet as usual.
Already I have eaten and arranged a trip for tomorrow - mainly to see some of the war-time tunnel network used by the Viet Cong, as well as some other local sights.
I'm in the usual tourist neck of the woods, but this is a huge city which seems a little intimidating at first. It all feels quite comfortable in this neighbourhood, but I don't think I'll be doing too much exploring on my own!
By the way I'm glad I took the daytime journey option. The route mostly followed the coast fron Nha Trang - and it is very largely unspoiled beach-front. There are a few embryonic developments, but very little really.

No comments: