Friday 20 June 2008

Hoi An



It is 8:30 in the evening here. When I arrived at midday (after the short ride from Hue) I was given the option of continuing the journey south tonight - as far as Nha Trang (on another overnight bus). I feel that my time is now short and decided that I would take up this offer after spending the afternoon in Hoi An. Well I've had a nice enough day, wandering around with Bob from North Dakota, but departure has been delayed from 6 pm to 9:30 pm because they are having to fetch a replacement bus. I have a feeling that it is going to be a rather shattering journey. Ah well, that's the downside of this kind of travel. By the way Bob has been travelling around Asia for the last 4 years - with a 10 month "break" in Australia. I don't think that is going to happen to me though. I've had a fine time in my travels so far, but am quite looking forward to getting home before too long now.
Bob is exactly the same age as I am, and thus was spot on for the Vietnam war draft. He escaped because one foot is a size bigger than the other - something for which he has been eternally grateful. As for me, I'm just glad I wasn't born American - because my feet are the same size, and there is a fair chance I'd have been a long forgotten statistic by now.
I can attach a couple of pictures of Hoi An - one of the harbour area and one of the market. I bought a pair of sawn off long shorts there, which were modified for me at 10 minutes notice!

No comments: