Thursday 30 October 2008

Glasgow to Poggibonsi - a long day


I was up at 5:15 yesterday for the bus to Prestwick. Dozed much of the flight to Pisa, then discovered that Kevin and Maureen were in the row in front of me. They must have been snoozing too! They are off for a couple of days in Siena before the Villa Pia kneesup. I don't have much of a plan, but that's pretty much how I like it. I had an early light lunch in central Pisa - outdoors by the duomo and tower. The tower is such an iconic image of Italy it is difficult to just head off without taking another look. It doesn't seem to have leaned much more since the mid 70s, but they have cleaned it up a bit.
Back then I did some work with Piaggio in Pontedera, and I wanted to go by and see how they were getting on without me. Pretty good seems to be the answer. They make Vespa scooters and other light vehicles, and business seems to be booming. I had a wander round the Piaggio museum, but this was a rather weird experience. There seemed to be absolutely no-one on duty (except maybe some CCTV) and I was free to wander round the whole place. I was particularly taken by the prototype(?) one-man mini-helicopter. Just what I need for my arrival at the James Bond party. Shame there was no-one there to make the sale!


After that I thought I'd head for Florence, but decided to move on after a quick (actually not so quick) look around. It is of course a really great place - but don't take a car! I ended up in Poggibonsi, in the middle of Chianti country, and am very pleased with this result. Another nice old mediaeval town, but with a modern outlook, a good hotel and excellent trattoria. And no tourists. Magnifico!
Here is a photo of the Pisa tower, and one of the mini-'copter.

No comments: