Tuesday 25 March 2008

Nepal politics

Some of you have expressed some interest in what's going on politically in Nepal. I'm no expert, but it is certainly an interesting time. There is a very substantial Tibetan component to Nepali life; so there is obviously some interest in and participation in the general series of Tibetan protests which are going on everywhere. I haven't see any of this.
Quite separately there is a general election here on the 10th of April, in which about 16 political parties are competing for the "new Nepal", by which they mean the likely successor to the monarchy and to the interim government which has been in place for the last two years or so. The Maoists and a.n.other communist party are in the race - as well as more moderate and royalist parties. There are (apparently) lots of political rallies and marches going on. I've seen 2 or 3 perfectly peaceful marches. As far as I am concerned, this is simply an interesting time in Nepal, with no more trouble than on a Hearts/Hibs football day.
As already said I'm no expert in any of this, but I am of course genuinely interested. I've been buying the morning papers here, and I offer you a couple of links to their websites.
http://www.nepalnews.com.np/ktmpost.htm
http://www.thehimalayantimes.com/

No comments: