Thursday 20 March 2008

Thursday in Delhi


Well the travels have started. Yesterday was one of those days which are kinda surreal - starting with the number 747 bus in Glasgow at 6 a.m. and ending with a 3 a.m. taxi ride through Delhi.


I've just been exploring Delhi a bit on foot today, and have now booked a flight to Kathmandu tomorrow evening. I'm in a cyber-cafe - in fact the third of the day. The others were pretty useless - with Windows 98 on old unreliable machines. So I'm not going to write a lot here.


Although I've only been here for a day, I certainly know I'm in India and have been enjoying the sights and sounds and tastes. This weekend is apparently some kind of religious "colour festival". People are wandering around with colours of all sorts on their hands and faces, and there are more red-haired Indians than I expected. I seem to have become slightly purple!

By the way, would you accept a taxi ride from this man (Indra) at 3 am? He seemed to be drinking something that looked suspiciously like petrol! I was glad to get to my destination in one piece.

2 comments:

Ken and Moira's travel blogs said...

Hi Alan - good to hear you've landed and that you're getting acclimatised. Howling gales and snow forecast this weekend so I don't suppose you're wishing you were back home!

Elaine said...

Great to hear you've arrived in Delhi (but probably left again by now). Look forward to the next fascinating piece of news from Michael Palin the 2nd! PS snowing here today, your departure was well timed. Freezing!