Thursday 5 June 2008

Escape to Chiang Mai

OK, the news is that I left Kathmandu yesterday on a flight to Bangkok, and onwards this morning to Chiang Mai - in northern Thailand. I didn't arrive in Bangkok till 7 pm and so took up a good offer of accommodation near the airport and returned there this morning to take my chances on flights to CM. It all worked out very well, and I was here at the back of 11 am and I am now checked in to the SK Guest House (from Lonely Planet recommendation). I was in Thailand 8 years ago, and this is as far north as I got; so I feel that I'm starting again where I left off last time. Although I didn't get to see Bangkok city, I can already tell that this country has come on a long way in the few years since I was here. Bangkok has a brand new airport. It is 45km out of the city, but definitely one of the best I have seen in terms of general efficiency. I took a wander from the hotel last night and sure enough found a more traditional Thai place to eat. It was full of Thais singing karaoke - pretty badly but funny anyway, and I think that is the whole point.
I'll stay here for a max of two days then head further north to see if they will let me cross to Myanmar for a short visit, then try to roughly follow the Mekong river through Laos and Cambodia. That's the plan anyway, but I reserve the right to change it completely!

No comments: