Monday 2 June 2008

A rough bike ride!


Here is a picture of Chuda standing at the site of what he plans to turn into a fish farm. The whole site is at least 3 times as big as what is shown in the picture. At the moment he is paying lots of money for one of those giant Komatsu excavators, as well as a team of two operators. It is a big project, and I hope it pays off for him. Certainly there are several other fish farms in the area - because there is natural water in the ground, and the clay nature of the soil means that it is relatively easy to create man-made lakes.

To get there I hired a bicycle (as it happens from his brother Ishwori) - and cycled about 12km each way. This was one of my worst experiences so far - not because of the searing heat, but because of the state of the bike. It was designed for someone about a foot shorter than I am. And when I paid a roadside repairer (all of 5 rupees) to try to raise the seat, he succeeded in ruining the thing altogether. Not only was it no higher, it was now pointing upwards at an angle of about 45 degrees.

Apart from the bike though, it was another very interesting experience.

This afternoon I came back to Kathmandu by bus, and am back at the Potala Tourist Home.

My job with the Namuna School is more or less done for now, but we will continue by email (as we do some further editing). So the time is approaching for me to move on from Nepal. I'm considering a couple of options, and I'll be sure to let you know here before too long.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Alan,
I think we may be seeing the first signs of summer here in Provence AT LAST. We have been back in the old country for some weeks as denise's father passed away on 17th May, and Denise had just returned from a holiday in S Africa. Her time there was much the same as mine in Spain, (Cold and Rain). Horrible weather in England as usual, although it sounds like you are ready for some monsoon type rain over there soon.
That is supposed to be amazing, I'm sure you will enjoy the experience! Its great to see you are doing the roving ambassador bit and not just rubber necking the 'natives' as a tourist, keep up the good work. Blog excellent.
Love Denise and Alan