Sunday 1 June 2008

It's a small world!











Well I'm certainly glad I came down to Chitwan for a few days. It makes a pleasant change from the hustle & bustle of Kathmandu. Suaraha is just a tiny village on the edge of the national park - and it turns out that my friend Amit from Canada has been here for the last five weeks - doing some voluntary work in the local school. As a result she seems to know everyone in the village - including Chuda's younger brother Ishwori and his family! So apart from all the interest of the jungle I've found it to be a very friendly place. It is very hot though! I think this is just about the height of the hot season, before the monsoon.


I've already done a canoe trip on the river which skirts the national park here, and been on a jeep safari through the park yesterday and, this morning, an elephant ride. On the way we have seen lots of the very special animals which live there - and I'll attach some pictures here. You will probably recognise most of them - except maybe the Sloth Bear - perhaps the scariest so far!


Best bit for me was having a bath with the elephants. If it wasn't for the delay on my digital camera, there would have been some great pictures - 'cos I kept getting thrown off, or sprayed with a trunk-full of water. As it is you will just have to be content with me climbing on (by holding on to the ears and having the elephant lift me up using its trunk) and a big splash with me in the middle of it!


This afternoon I've hired a bicycle and plan to take a trip to Chuda's hole-in-the-ground which he intends to turn into a fish farm. But it is scorching at the moment and I am waiting for it to cool down a bit.

No comments: