Tuesday 10 June 2008

Luang Prabang



Just another brief update today. Things went broadly according to plan except that the 6 hour speedboat ride turned out to be nearly 9 hours - including a 1 hour engine repair stop. It was a pretty small narrow boat, with 8 passengers and a boatman "driving" at the back, with a huge motor and a long rotor blade arm. I haven't got a picture of the whole thing, but I'll post what I have to give the general idea - as well as what the river looks like. It felt like we were doing about 40 mph (or should that be knots), but maybe that's just because we were so low in the water.

I was with two dutch folks (Willem and Carolyn) and the rest were Lao. The boat was obviously built for the Lao folks - 'cos they tended to fit into the required space while the rest of us were pretty uncomfortable to put it mildly! I've come to the same lodge as Willem and Carolyn. This whole place (Luang Prabang) has made a big early impression. It is a really nice mix of old French colonial influence and ancient Bhuddist wats. Here's a picture of one, taken at dusk; so I'm sure it doesn't really do it justice. And the people are nice too! Bad news is that I bought another t-shirt at the night market - as if I didn't already have enough stuff to lug around!

As has now become the norm, I'm not yet sure what I'll do tomorrow. Favourite is probably to stay here and move on the following day, maybe for Viangchan.


2 comments:

Ken and Moira's travel blogs said...

looks amazing Alan, no wonder you want to stay - excellent source of photos here

Jill said...

Hello Alan,
Mum, Kathleen and Eddie are here in France with us and it is cold and rainy! Hope the weather is better with you? Sounds like your having a great time and see you when you get back.
Jill and John