Friday 13 June 2008

Next steps

OK, here's the latest on my plans. I'm flying later today on a short internal Lao Airlines flight to Vientiane (or Viangchan) - the capital city of Laos, and tomorrow afternoon I'm moving on to Hanoi in VietNam. Having decided I want to go to VietNam, the next issue to deal with was the visa. Unlike most countries in this area, an advance visa is essential. I was able to get this done through the consulate in LPB at relatively short notice - but at a cost! At least that's the intention. I can't collect it till about 4 pm. And it is pouring rain here just now; so the internet cafe is as good a place as any to be.
Laos has made a very positive impression on me, and I'd love to spend longer here. The countryside is beautiful - much of it rugged mountain jungle, and the people are very welcoming. Oh, and the food and the beer are probably the best so far. A good place to come for a few weeks of trekking in the future maybe - but I already sent my boots home.
As I've said here before, I feel my travel time is rapidly expiring, and I'm keen to use it to get around a bit - especially after staying in one place for so long.
One of the good things about travelling alone - or independently - is the freedom to make change decisions at short notice as the mood takes me - or as I am influenced by others.
Yesterday I met up again with many of the people who had been on the waterfall trip the previous day, and they all had interesting experiences to share. This included breakfast with Haley and Elizabeth, two fine sisters from LA - who came up with some useful tips for my trip there later in the year.
No new photos to share with you today, but I'll attach Moira's Luang Prabang link - because the pictures sum the place up perfectly.
In Hanoi, I'm sure the city will be worth a good look around, but my main plan there is to get on a boat trip round the islands of Halong Bay.

No comments: