Wednesday 2 July 2008

Arrival in Delhi - and Bangkok Belli!

It's midnight in Delhi. I arrived about 10:30 - rather later than planned and mainly down to inefficiencies at Delhi airport. I'm at the Ajanta hotel, in a different (Paharganj main bazaar) part of town than my last brief visit. The hotel is much nicer than the last place I stayed at in Delhi. I have all day tomorrow here and then an early flight to Heathrow and on to Glasgow on Friday. I don't have any big plans for tomorrow, but I enjoy exploring new places; so I'll be happy to wander about. We are near the main railway station apparently; so I will definitely go along for a look at that - and maybe even take a journey!
It rained for much of the day in Bangkok yesterday, sometimes very heavily. The sun did make an appearance for a couple of hours and so I managed a bit of the intended lounging by the pool as well as some exploring of the Bangalamphu area despite the rain. It does have a kind of "village" atmosphere, and I like it there.
In the evening I went off with Greg from Canada to Sukhumvit Road market - by a long tuk-tuk ride for a reminder of how big and lively this city really is. We came back by "skytrain" - an elevated metro rail system. Very impressive!
This morning my stomach was giving some problems again. Must have been some of that pavement food we had last night! This isn't the best condition for a longish journey, but a few Imodium tablets have helped get me safely enough to Delhi.
I'll try to attach a picture from the Bangkok hotel rooftop - showing the deserted pool and some of the "downtown" highrises in the far distance.... and maybe some looming clouds before they broke again.

1 comment:

Ken and Moira's travel blogs said...

Good luck for the last leg of your trip Alan. Hope the belli holds up. Speak soon.