Thursday 3 July 2008

It's hot here!


Delhi is extremely hot today - maybe 40 degrees and humid. I've been wandering about all over the place (including the main railway station for a bit of train-spotting) and so I'm soaking in sweat, even after sitting on the hotel rooftop for a while with an ice-tea.
I discovered this morning that there is a Bandh in effect across the city (and much of the rest of the country). This is a kind of general protest strike about something and seems quite common in India and Nepal (where they call it a "bandha". I'm not really sure what today's is about - except that it appears to be about puttting pressure on the government to get their act together after disagreements amongst coalition partners about some kind of land transfer. I have a strange suspicion that the level of support might also have something to do with the fact that there is a big crunch Asia Cup India vs Sri Lanka cricket match on the telly!
The bandh has the effect of closing virtually everything - certainly most shops. It seems to work because of fears of retribution against those who defy the bandh. That leaves plenty of street-traders though and the city seems to be as chaotic as ever. Besides, as the day progressed a few shops began to open up. On my travels today I had a late lunch at the United Coffee House at Connaught Place - which I also visited when I was in Delhi a few months ago at the start of my trip. It is a place I recommend for a bit of refreshing respite from the noise and chaos around this city. And the best pot of tea in months!
It hasn't rained yet today, and I believe that it is not expected to - very unusual at this time of year. But I can well understand why Indians look forward to the monsoon season so much.
I need to get up at 4 am tomorrow for a 5:45 check-in for my flight to London; so I'm signing off for now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Goodness, how quickly the time has gone!! Mixed emotions I suspect after such an exciting tour, one which you have enabled us to share without any heat exhaustion or discomfort!! Thanks so much for that Alan; opening up the world to your readers who are perhaps timid & far less adventurous, and may have gone only as far as the Med! Perhaps your blog could continue from home, as those of us who live away from Scotland would appreciate an occasional 'tartan newsletter' Yours Aye, Diana & Rex