Monday 24 March 2008

New mission: Annapurna Circuit

Some decisions have been made. Emilie, Björn and myself have agreed that we can coexist and that we all want to do the Annapurna Circuit - with some variations. Also that we want to hire a guide. We have even signed up a guide we are all happy with and agreed we will set off from Kathmandu early on Wednesday morning. Our guide's name is Gyan. He is from high in the Annapurna region and knows the territory well. The truth is that none of us really feel we need a "guide" as such, but we all value what Gyan can bring to the team in terms of local knowledge and language - not to mention the fall-back in case of need for help with packs at altitude. Since I last wrote here we have seen two of Chris Beall's lectures/slide shows - first on Annapurna and then tonight on Everest. He truly is a font of knowledge - and he seemed pleased to see someone come back after 13 years or so! Tomorrow will be fairly busy, getting some last minute gear, and finalising our permits - as well as packing for the trek (and leaving some stuff back at base here). I'm finding uploading photos pretty problematic, but I'll have a go here at including a pic of the team of 3 after our agreement this morning - in the outdoor restaurant at the KGH. I don't think I need to say who's who!


PS. 3rd garlic soup found today.

1 comment:

DJMcK said...

ALan, this is an excellent way to keep in touch. Love the Garlic Soup - please rember to bring back recipe as I think it unlikely that I will ever make it to Nepal.

I guess after Wednesday you won't be in touch so much - enjoy the travels, but ca' canny!